Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The 30 Worst Sports Logos of All Time: #9

As my boy 'Moo and I were sitting through our training class, he turned me on to a website called LogoShak that has a remarkably extensive collection of logos from sports teams and events. Since I needed something new for the blog (and because November has 30 days), I decided to list the 30 worst sports logos of all time. I designated 'Moo as creative director of the project since he a.) found the site before I did, b.) has a good eye for a bad logo, and c.) agreed to go through half of the logos on the site so that I didn't have to spend even more time than I already do with unproductive exercises. I will be listing one per day for the next 30 days. There was no strict criteria; it just had to look ugly. Sometimes the logos were too busy, some of them had terrible color schemes, and some were just way too plain. Regardless, we tried to put together list of the all-time worst for your enjoyment (or displeasure, whichever). Let's keep this train rolling...

#9 - Greenville Grrrowl


I really hated typing "Grrrowl". I can't tell you how much I hated that. For that reason alone, I thought about moving this minor league hockey team located in Greenville, South Carolina into the top 3, but decided not to hold that against them. Oh, and for the record, they play in 'Greenville', not 'Grrreenville'. Just wanted to clear that up. In addition to the corny intentional spelling errors that coincide with the team's (horrible) nickname, there is a dog biting an oversized hockey puck...with a menacing expression. Those corny intentional spelling errors are also written in purple, with a font that is meant to make them seem as if they're shaking from the...wait for it...growl. Ahhh, get it? Growl? Shaking words? Yeah, it's pretty lame. It's one of the rules I live by in life: if a logo contains an attempt at effect via font, does so with a questionable color choice, and does so in the shadow of a menacing dog biting an oversized hockey puck, you have to put it in the Top 10 of the worst logos you've seen. You can't tell me that I'm the only one with that life rule. Wait, what? I am? I guess I'm just an innovator.

~~ Lank

No comments: