Monday, December 14, 2009

The 30 Worst Sports Logos of All Time: #3

As my boy 'Moo and I were sitting through our training class, he turned me on to a website called LogoShak that has a remarkably extensive collection of logos from sports teams and events. Since I needed something new for the blog (and because November has 30 days), I decided to list the 30 worst sports logos of all time. I designated 'Moo as creative director of the project since he a.) found the site before I did, b.) has a good eye for a bad logo, and c.) agreed to go through half of the logos on the site so that I didn't have to spend even more time than I already do with unproductive exercises. I will be listing one per day for the next 30 days. There was no strict criteria; it just had to look ugly. Sometimes the logos were too busy, some of them had terrible color schemes, and some were just way too plain. Regardless, we tried to put together list of the all-time worst for your enjoyment (or displeasure, whichever). Let's keep this train rolling...

#3 - Indianapolis Ice



Sorry to keep inundating you with minor league hockey logos, but I'm true to my vision; so instead of trying to balance the bad logos between sports, I just pick the worst ones and let the demographics fall where they may. You know, I'm like the opposite of a "Real World" cast. Everybody knows I love Indianapolis. It's literally my favorite city in the world. I'm pretty sure I've even been to an Ice game or two. But there's no defending this logo. I could probably spend another 15 sentences telling you everything that I DON'T like about it, but because I love you and respect your limited free time, I'm going to tell you the one thing that I actually LIKE about it (surprising, I know): the image of the Hoosier Dome in the background. Yep, that's it. Indy doesn't exactly have the world's best skyline, so why they chose to include it in the logo I'm not entirely sure; but at least they decided to stay true to form and show off that beauty of a dome. I'm old school, so I still call it the Hoosier Dome, but no matter what you called it, I think we can all agree that it is truly missed. R.I.P. Hoosier Dome; stay classy. Oh, and for the record, in all the time I've spent in Naptown, I've never, ever seen a cocaine-addicted, hockey stick-wielding polar bear roaming around. Just wanted to clear that up. Tell the Indianapolis Chamber of Commerce to send me a check later.

~~ Lank

No comments: