Monday, December 7, 2009

The 30 Worst Sports Logos of All Time: #14

As my boy 'Moo and I were sitting through our training class, he turned me on to a website called LogoShak that has a remarkably extensive collection of logos from sports teams and events. Since I needed something new for the blog (and because November has 30 days), I decided to list the 30 worst sports logos of all time. I designated 'Moo as creative director of the project since he a.) found the site before I did, b.) has a good eye for a bad logo, and c.) agreed to go through half of the logos on the site so that I didn't have to spend even more time than I already do with unproductive exercises. I will be listing one per day for the next 30 days. There was no strict criteria; it just had to look ugly. Sometimes the logos were too busy, some of them had terrible color schemes, and some were just way too plain. Regardless, we tried to put together list of the all-time worst for your enjoyment (or displeasure, whichever). Let's keep this train rolling...

#14 - Memphis Showboats



Man, this is disappointing. Despite playing in one of the coolest leagues of all time (the USFL), and having one of the coolest nicknames of all time (the Showboats), Memphis came up way short in the logo department. Yes, I understand the logo; it's the ferry wheel of a showboat going down the Mississippi to represent the team's nickname. That doesn't change the fact that it's lame. How about a full-fledged ferry, or a couple of smokestacks? Why a freaking water wheel? For the record, I don't know if "ferry wheel" and "water wheel" are appropriate terms for whatever that thing is in the logo, but it just felt right each time. Heck, have a silhouette of a player on your team high-stepping into the end zone for all I care (get it, showboat?); just something other than this atrocity. Bad, Memphis. Just plain bad.

~~ Lank

No comments: