Friday, December 11, 2009

The 30 Worst Sports Logos of All Time: #5

As my boy 'Moo and I were sitting through our training class, he turned me on to a website called LogoShak that has a remarkably extensive collection of logos from sports teams and events. Since I needed something new for the blog (and because November has 30 days), I decided to list the 30 worst sports logos of all time. I designated 'Moo as creative director of the project since he a.) found the site before I did, b.) has a good eye for a bad logo, and c.) agreed to go through half of the logos on the site so that I didn't have to spend even more time than I already do with unproductive exercises. I will be listing one per day for the next 30 days. There was no strict criteria; it just had to look ugly. Sometimes the logos were too busy, some of them had terrible color schemes, and some were just way too plain. Regardless, we tried to put together list of the all-time worst for your enjoyment (or displeasure, whichever). Let's keep this train rolling...

#5 - Oakland Senors


Umm, hmmm. Where do I go with this one? I know where I want to go with this one, but I also know that I'm probably not allowed to go there. I'm gonna have to think about how to approach this; give me a minute...





...ok, I think I'm good now. First, a little history. This logo was a controversial choice (no, not because GLAAD objected) because it was never actually used for a team that played a game. When Oakland was granted an AFL franchise, they chose this name and logo to represent the team. However, after being the butt of jokes around the community from fans and media alike, the team owners decided to reverse course and name the team the Raiders. Seriously, Al Davis' struggling franchise could've been called the Senors and had this logo, which would've added more embarrassment than drafting JaMarcus Russell first overall possibly could. Now, for the reason(s) the logo makes my list. Well, first of all, this guy looks queer as a three-dollar bill, and I'm fairly confident that when you're a professional football team, that's not the image you're trying to project. Just a guess on my part. Second, he's winking at me. Why is that? Again, I don't see how anyone who played or rooted for the franchise would be comfortable with this guy. What if they had a mascot that resembled the version and he wanted to hold your kids for a photo-op. Would that fly? I say no. I understand that some parents thought it was cool to drop off their children at Neverland, so anything's possible, but if Mr. Senor tried to scoop up your young'n, you'd punch him in the face, admit it. The charges would be worth preventing psychological damage to your child for the rest of his/her life. One of the most underrated bad parts of this logo are the crossing sabres in the background. What the heck is that all about? You put a winking guy with lipstick who has a rose in his mouth as the foreground of your logo, but you somehow think that adding swords behind him will make the logo seem more imposing? I mean, let's be serious right now. When the swords cross behind the guy in the current Raiders logo, it makes sense because, you know, the guy in the foreground has on an eye patch and a football helmet; not lipstick and a rose in his mouth. Oh wait, never mind; forget everything I just said. I just realized that he has a skull and crossbones on his bandana, so that makes up for all of his "eccentric" qualities.

~~ Lank

No comments: