Thursday, December 10, 2009

The 30 Worst Sports Logos of All Time: #8

As my boy 'Moo and I were sitting through our training class, he turned me on to a website called LogoShak that has a remarkably extensive collection of logos from sports teams and events. Since I needed something new for the blog (and because November has 30 days), I decided to list the 30 worst sports logos of all time. I designated 'Moo as creative director of the project since he a.) found the site before I did, b.) has a good eye for a bad logo, and c.) agreed to go through half of the logos on the site so that I didn't have to spend even more time than I already do with unproductive exercises. I will be listing one per day for the next 30 days. There was no strict criteria; it just had to look ugly. Sometimes the logos were too busy, some of them had terrible color schemes, and some were just way too plain. Regardless, we tried to put together list of the all-time worst for your enjoyment (or displeasure, whichever). Let's keep this train rolling...

#8 - Mesa Solar Sox



Wow, what do we have here? A remarkably bad logo, that's what. In fairness to the Solar Sox, they're a minor league organization, so have a minor league logo doesn't seem that out of place. But a logo this bad? My goodness. There is no writing to inform everyone which team this logo applies to, nor is there any sort of visual representation pertaining to the team's name. Oh sure, there's a sun, but is anyone looking at this logo and saying, "ohhhh, the Solar Sox, right?" What the heck is a Solar Sox anyway? My head hurts. This is just awful. The sun looks like it's directly out of the 1960s in terms of the sharpness of the image. And why is it on a navy blue background? Is it night time? Oh wait, it can't be because, you know, THE SUN IS OUT. I just can't figure any of this out. Who ok'd this logo, and do they still have a job? I certainly hope not. Yeah, I just took it there. With plenty of talented people out of work these days, I'm hoping that someone without talent doesn't have a job. Goodness.

~~ Lank

No comments: