Monday, December 7, 2009

The 30 Worst Sports Logos of All Time: #13

As my boy 'Moo and I were sitting through our training class, he turned me on to a website called LogoShak that has a remarkably extensive collection of logos from sports teams and events. Since I needed something new for the blog (and because November has 30 days), I decided to list the 30 worst sports logos of all time. I designated 'Moo as creative director of the project since he a.) found the site before I did, b.) has a good eye for a bad logo, and c.) agreed to go through half of the logos on the site so that I didn't have to spend even more time than I already do with unproductive exercises. I will be listing one per day for the next 30 days. There was no strict criteria; it just had to look ugly. Sometimes the logos were too busy, some of them had terrible color schemes, and some were just way too plain. Regardless, we tried to put together list of the all-time worst for your enjoyment (or displeasure, whichever). Let's keep this train rolling...

#13 - Michigan Panthers


Ok, time for a little disclosure here: I have no idea what the Michigan Panthers are, nor which league they ever played in. Heck, I don't even know which sport they played. Let me check Wikipedia real quick...




...I'm back; thanks. Turns out, much like #14 on our list, the Panthers were also in the USFL. That's unfortunate; I'm losing more and more respect for that league by the minute. I mean, how do you let something like this logo pass through the ranks? Shouldn't a league executive step in at some point and say, "you know what, brown is a terrible dominant color for a logo, and it goes terribly with light blue."? Look, I know the 80s were a weird time in America and strange things happened. But I'm not buying that as an excuse for this logo. Just plain terrible. And what's with the breaks in the lines behind the Panther? Did they run out of money and had to cut the computer design team loose before they finished the job? This angers me; I'm outta here before I break something.

~~ Lank

No comments: