Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Sale Defends Billy Corgan

Apparently, my earlier post about Jessica Simpson inexplicably dating Billy Corgan didn't go over too well with one of Skip To My Lank's faithful readers.

Sale, a good friend of Skip and myself, had a few choice words waiting for me in my inbox when I got to work. Here's what he had to say:

"In response to a post earlier about Jessica Simpson’s dating habits, I must say I am a little displeased. Not because I give a care about what she is doing with her life, but by how little respect was paid to Billy Corgan. Based on the glowing reviews given to her and the author’s stated desire to have her as his own romantic interest, Billy should be praised for pulling down someone so much his junior and so attractive. If you knew a 40-something that hauled in a nice looking 20-something, high fives and man-on-man ass slaps would be in order. And that’s even though you don’t know someone like Billy, which is the crux of my displeasure. Here is a man who shaped me and countless other young people in the 90s with the outstanding music produced by the Smashing Pumpkins. I celebrate roughly their entire catalog and still give it heavy rotation to this day. Bullet with Butterfly Wings is one of the top 5 songs from the heyday of the alternative rock period (don’t get me started on rock music these days). Tonight Tonight, 1979, Geek USA, Cherub Rock, Today…the list goes on. Go ahead and try to say you don’t like the Pumpkins; you’re just fooling yourself. To belittle Jessica Simpson for finding such a catch is wrong and irresponsible. Instead, congratulations Jessica on landing such a hero."

Well, ok then. I still think that Jessica is simply desperate and underachieving and Billy Corgan just happened to be the beneficiary. I'm not convinced that he had to run any game to get her on his arm. Hopefully, Sale and I can just agree to disagree and he'll grant me immunity from one of his patented pummelings.

~~ Lank

No comments: