Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The 30 Worst Sports Logos of All Time: #2

As my boy 'Moo and I were sitting through our training class, he turned me on to a website called LogoShak that has a remarkably extensive collection of logos from sports teams and events. Since I needed something new for the blog (and because November has 30 days), I decided to list the 30 worst sports logos of all time. I designated 'Moo as creative director of the project since he a.) found the site before I did, b.) has a good eye for a bad logo, and c.) agreed to go through half of the logos on the site so that I didn't have to spend even more time than I already do with unproductive exercises. I will be listing one per day for the next 30 days. There was no strict criteria; it just had to look ugly. Sometimes the logos were too busy, some of them had terrible color schemes, and some were just way too plain. Regardless, we tried to put together list of the all-time worst for your enjoyment (or displeasure, whichever). Let's keep this train rolling...

#2 - Pittsburgh Xplosion



Prior to actually sitting down and spending a whole 34 seconds on this list, 'Moo and I were convinced that this logo would "win" the top spot on the countdown. Unfortunately for all 17 Pittsburgh Xplosion fans, it came up just short. Take a look at this logo for a minute. Is there anything redeemable about it? Anything? Bueller? Bueller? First of all, it's got a red background. Then, there is a silhouette of the beautiful Pittsburgh skyline, one of the most non-descript skylines in America. To top it all off, there are a few random fireworks "xplosions" overhead, which I guess is supposed to represent the team nickname. Quite honestly, if someone had told me that a second-grade student had designed this logo in 1974 on a first-generation Apple computer, I probably would have believed it. And I don't consider myself to be a very gullible person. Not the most ringing of endorsements for the Xplosion's marketing team, but hey, they played in the CBA, so it's not like anybody noticed anyway. See? I'm an optimist. I can find the positives in anything; even godawful logos. Fun fact about this logo: 'Moo had it as the background on his computer for about two weeks. That got some interesting looks and comments for our logo-savvy department mates.

~~ Lank

No comments: