Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The 30 Worst Sports Logos of All Time: #10

As my boy 'Moo and I were sitting through our training class, he turned me on to a website called LogoShak that has a remarkably extensive collection of logos from sports teams and events. Since I needed something new for the blog (and because November has 30 days), I decided to list the 30 worst sports logos of all time. I designated 'Moo as creative director of the project since he a.) found the site before I did, b.) has a good eye for a bad logo, and c.) agreed to go through half of the logos on the site so that I didn't have to spend even more time than I already do with unproductive exercises. I will be listing one per day for the next 30 days. There was no strict criteria; it just had to look ugly. Sometimes the logos were too busy, some of them had terrible color schemes, and some were just way too plain. Regardless, we tried to put together list of the all-time worst for your enjoyment (or displeasure, whichever). Let's keep this train rolling...

#10 - Atlanta Apollos




This is an interesting logo. It comes to us from a franchise that played in the North American Soccer League (NASL), so that might help explain...I don't know, something. This is just a horrendous logo. I don't know what it means, I don't know what it represents, and I don't know what it's supposed to tell me about the squad. Is this some sort of symbol that somehow symbolizes the Greek god Apollo? I have no idea. That's probably the issue I have most with it; even if it does represent something pertinent to the franchise, nobody would know. The whole point of a logo is to put an emblem to your franchise that's easily recognizable and sharp-looking. This fails on both counts. It looks like a Formula One course. And I don't really mean that as a compliment. If you were to show this to 50 random people on the street, would they even know that it's a sports logo? I say no. I think maybe 3 would guess that it's a sports logo, and the rest would either guess that it's a company logo or ancient symbol. Ok, now I'm really over-analyzing this atrocity. I'll put you out of your misery now (or is it my misery? Whatever).

~~ Lank

No comments: