Sunday, November 1, 2009

The 30 Worst Sports Logos of All Time: #30

As my boy 'Moo and I were sitting through our training class, he turned me on to a website called LogoShak that has a remarkably extensive collection of logos from sports teams and events. Since I needed something new for the blog (and because November has 30 days), I decided to list the 30 worst sports logos of all time. I designated 'Moo as creative director of the project since he a.) found the site before I did, b.) has a good eye for a bad logo, and c.) agreed to go through half of the logos on the site so that I didn't have to spend even more time than I already do with unproductive exercises. I will be listing one per day for the next 30 days. There was no strict criteria; it just had to look ugly. Sometimes the logos were too busy, some of them had terrible color schemes, and some were just way too plain. Regardless, we tried to put together list of the all-time worst for your enjoyment (or displeasure, whichever). Now that that's out of the way, let's get this party started...


#30 - Philadelphia Rage



This lovely logo comes to us from the American Basketball League, which was a women's pro league that cranked up as a rival to the WNBA. Needless to say the ABL didn't last very long, but studies haven't yet confirmed that it was due to their poor team logos. It was probably just the simple fact that nobody's interested in women's professional leagues in any sport. Anyway, this logo is just terrible. I mean, honestly, what is good about this logo? The black, red, and gold colors clash. The "rage" that I'm supposed to be feeling from the violent nature of the font isn't exactly manifesting itself in me. The basketball and words seem as if they're running rather than enraged; isn't that what the streaks look like to you, too? As if they're in motion as opposed to shaking from the rage I'm supposed to feel when I think about the Philadelphia ABL team? As a matter of fact, I do feel rage. But not because that's what the team represents to me, but because the logo is just so bad. I'm mad that I've spent 18 seconds of my life looking at it that I'll never get back. So, yes, to answer the question I know that you're asking yourself, it was worth it to spend all of this time on a blog post to justify getting back at the Philadelphia Rage's marketing team for wasting 18 seconds of my life with this logo. Just terrible. Check back tomorrow to see what could possibly be worse to check in at #29.

~~ Lank

No comments: