Monday, November 30, 2009

Since I've Been Gone...

As you may have noticed, I've been on sabbatical. It wasn't planned or anything, I just got busy playing video games, watching sports, and all of the other really important things that a 24-year-old must do. Rather than bombarding you with posts and articles on every little thing that I wanted to discuss in the past couple weeks, I'm just going to hit you with a list of things that are on my mind right now. Enjoy.

-- I love how Ireland has handled this whole Thierry Henry handball incident. I really do. First, they basically call out France for winning like a bunch of bums, and then challenge them to another match at the location of France's choice. Naturally, the French decline, but it was a good move on the Irish's part anyway. Second, the Irish government gets involved and asks FIFA to demand a rematch. FIFA doesn't, so the Irish are still out of luck, but still, it was a good move on their part. The answer is 'no' until you ask, right? Then, they ask FIFA to include them as the 33rd team in the World Cup. I mean, how ballsy can you get? "Hey FIFA, we know you have a 32-team tournament, but since a French guy cheated against us in the qualifying match, can you make us the 33rd team? Thanks." That's awesome. I have a newfound respect for the Irish. Not as much as I did after watching "Gangs of New York", but still.

-- By the way, Thierry Henry, you should be ashamed of yourself. Yes, I know it's the referees' job to officiate the game, but what soccer player intentionally sticks his hand out to stop a ball? That's got to be against the code of ethics. They put up with a lot in soccer; flops, arguing in the face of an official; elbows to the chest, etc. but handballs are the equivalent of diving at the knees in football. You just don't do it. That was lame, Henry. You're better than that.

-- After Brandon Jennings' scorching hot start (including scoring 55 in a game), the Milwaukee Bucks' rookie point guard has come back to Earth in a recent stretch of games. That's to be expected, though. Don't judge the kid based on what he did in his first ten games; judge him based on what you expected from he and the other rookies. What he's doing is amazing. I guarantee you New York wishes they had him right now. How's Jordan Hill doing? Just wondering.

-- Go see "The Blind Side". It was terrific.

-- I'll get to Tiger...but he's getting his own post. No, I'm not holding back.

-- Colt McCoy now deserves the Heisman. After his next-level performance against Texas A&M and Mark Ingram's bad day against Auburn, McCoy has proven to be "The Most Outstanding Player in the United States of America" or whatever it says on the Heisman Trophy.

-- I keep waiting for my beloved Indianapolis Colts to lose one of these games and they never do. Not that I'm complaining. I'll leave that to the embattled Panthers fans so near and dear to me.

-- Joe Mauer and Albert Pujols were the two most obvious choices for MVP in their respective leagues that I can ever remember. The guy who voted for Miguel Cabrera instead of Mauer should be waterboarded.

-- Rain delays suck. I've been trying to play my kickball playoff games for three weeks now, but we've yet to play a single inning. We even got rained out again earlier tonight. I think I've forgotten some of the rules at this point.

-- Ok, NFL, we get it. Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson were in the wrong for their performance 6 years ago. But why do you have to give us The Who at halftime of this season's Super Bowl to drive home the point? Way to appeal to your younger audience...or alive audience, I should say. I think only like one original member of The Who is still alive. Heck, Wu-Tang Clan has 8 out of 9 still tickin'!! I want justice.

-- I'm REALLY glad that the IndyCar Series got IZOD to sign on as a title sponsor. It generates a lot of money for the series, sure; but the exposure and marketing angles are even more important than the cashola. My series may be saved yet!

-- After watching some teams play and doing some research, it's obvious that the only two good teams in college basketball this year are Kansas and Texas. That's the list. By "good" I mean "capable of winning the national championship." If you were to give me those two while you took the field, I'd probably make that bet with you. Only if you let me get Florida State, too. Obviously.

-- 'Moo's pissed at me for not getting more logos up. I think my countdown is still in neutral at #14 or something. They'll be finished soon.

-- I really wanted to punch Tim Legler when he wrote in an ESPN.com Daily Dime article that the Spurs would not make the playoffs this year. Really, Tim? Are you willing to be ANYTHING on that? It's such a silly proclamation.

-- After seeing the Raptors in person, I'm demoting them on my "favorite teams to watch list". The Spurs and Pacers are numbers 1 and 2 for the 20th year in a row, but the Sacramento Kings have now slid into the 3-spot. They have a young team that plays hard, and I really like watching Tyreke Evans play, so slide me a purple and black shirt if you're feeling generous. Go get 'em, Kings.

-- The Patriots look to knock off the undefeated Saints tonight in New Orleans...and I'm taking the Patriots. That banged-up secondary is finally going to catch up with the Saints. Although, that's what I said about the Colts when they played New Orleans, too. Oh well, whatever. Pats 34, Saints 28.

~~ Lank

No comments: