Monday, November 2, 2009

The 30 Worst Sports Logos of All Time: #29

As my boy 'Moo and I were sitting through our training class, he turned me on to a website called LogoShak that has a remarkably extensive collection of logos from sports teams and events. Since I needed something new for the blog (and because November has 30 days), I decided to list the 30 worst sports logos of all time. I designated 'Moo as creative director of the project since he a.) found the site before I did, b.) has a good eye for a bad logo, and c.) agreed to go through half of the logos on the site so that I didn't have to spend even more time than I already do with unproductive exercises. I will be listing one per day for the next 30 days. There was no strict criteria; it just had to look ugly. Sometimes the logos were too busy, some of them had terrible color schemes, and some were just way too plain. Regardless, we tried to put together list of the all-time worst for your enjoyment (or displeasure, whichever). Let's keep this train rolling...


#29 - Cleveland Browns


There is no excuse for this one. None. The NFL is home to the richest franchises in the country, and they have no shortage of resources when it comes to marketing and promotions. That being said, this is what the Browns came up with? A helmet? I understand that when the (original) Browns were created, there were no fancy computers to make fancy logos. But old franchises such as the Bears and Packers have iconic logos that are simple yet elegant. This Cleveland logo is neither. Upon their revival in 1999, the Browns could have changed things up to represent the new era of Browns football, but instead they went back to this lame logo that represented the old Ravens. Bad move, Cleveland, bad move. Not as bad as all of the personnel and coaching decisions you've made since coming back into being, but still bad. Did you know that their coaches, since being resurrected, have been Chris Palmer, Butch Davis, Romeo Crennel, and Eric Mangini? No, seriously, look it up. You know what, I think we're stuck with this logo for a while. When you've made bigger decisions as poorly as that, you have some other things to tend to before you fix your egregious logo. Seriously, a helmet?

~~ Lank

No comments: