Friday, August 28, 2009

Something That Irritates Me: Driving in Rain


I got home from work not too long ago, and the drive took longer than expected. Traffic problems? Nope. Troublesome red lights? Not that either. Did I get hungry? Well, yeah, but I didn't succumb and get food. No, there is a much more simple explanation to why it took me an extra 10 minutes to get home on a Friday evening.

It rained.

I promise, that's the only reason. No accidents, no policemen on patrol, no crazy traffic lights, and no shoppin stops. It just so happens that when precipitation falls from the sky, people deem it necessary to go 10 mph under the speed limit while going straight and 20 mph below the speed limit when taking a curve or turning. I don't mean to sound like an aggressive driver here, but frankly, it's maddening. I understand wanting to be safe and not wanting to put yourself in harm's way; especially on slick roads. But, trust me, going 25 mph in a 40 mph zone isn't necessary. As a matter of fact, you can actually go the speed limit the whole way home and you won't run into any problems. Try it sometime. No, seriously, please do.

What really disappoints me is that a lot of the time, male drivers fall victim to this syndrome as well. Females aren't very good drivers to begin with, so blaming them for being unable to drive effectively in less-than-perfect conditions would be unfair. Good driving (which is separate from 'safe driving', mind you; anyone can go 30 mph everywhere and arrive safely, but a good driver will get you there with a delicate balance of safety and expedience) requires decisiveness and quick-thinking -- two things that aren't innate in women -- so they have an excuse. However, men, it's time we stepped up our rain driving game. I'm tired of finally getting around a car going too slow just because it's wet and then seeing a dude in the cockpit. How embarrassing. Nothing says "man" like braving the elements and still completing a task, so I challenge all the fellas out there to step up and make your trip in average time in the rain.

Once again, I'm not calling for insanity on the roads. If you normally go 55 mph on a U.S. highway, and you want to tone it down to 50 mph during the rainstorm, fine. 45 mph? Not fine. Your tires are designed to be able to drive through water, I swear. They're not going to lose grip just because a little water is on the pavement. If it starts hurricaning, then yes, you're allowed to go slow. There's a difference between standing water and you-can-still-see-dry-blacktop, though. Keep that in mind. Sorry to sound like a taskmaster here, but I'm tired of being delayed no matter where I'm going just because people are scared to behave normally behind the wheel when they see water on their windshield. It's water, not sulfuric acid; you'll be fine. Really.

Unless, of course, the driver beside you hasn't read my post; in that case, all bets are off.

~~ Lank

No comments: