Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Calm Before the Storm


It's August 11th, 2009. Which means in less than 24 hours, the U.S. Men's National Soccer team will take the field in Mexico City to battle our most bitter of rivals, Mexico in a 2010 World Cup qualifier. Yeah, we played them a few weeks back in the final round of the Gold Cup, getting clobbered 5-0. But considering our roster consisted of (maybe) 2 regulars on the "A-team," it wasn't exactly a fair fight. Some people have suggested that Mexico had a B-team there, too; until you realize that roughly 12 regulars from the team they're sending into tomorrow's game were in the Gold Cup final as well.

Regardless, it's a huge game. Huge.

Why? Well, for starters, we haven't ever won in Mexico City. Not once. We had a scoreless tie back in 1998, but that's about as well as we've fared in the Mexican capital. Another reason is that we're attempting to break into the second-tier of international soccer teams. The top tier is completely out of the question, as we're unable to compete with the Brazils, Englands, Netherlands, Italys and Spains of the world on a consistent basis. However, we've begun to play more consistent soccer since the poor showing at the 2006 World Cup. Winning against Switzerland on the road two years ago, beating Sweden last year, playing close contests against Spain and Argentina last summer; you get the point. That, in conjunction with our surprise run in the Confederations Cup, has given a renewed vigor to the Yanks.

Winning in Mexico City, however, is a whole other deal.

The game is being held at Estadio Azteca, which holds about 5 million people -- or so it seems. Really, it holds close to 105,000 (plus the extra hundreds that'll somehow cram in), and only a handful of people in there will not hate the United States. Throw in the elevation (over 7,300 feet) and the smog (think L.A. on crack), and our boys have quite the fight on their hands. Oh yeah, and don't forget the eleven guys in the red, green, and white who want nothing more than to beat the crap out of their rivals to the north. The game is going to be fierce, it's going to be physical, and it's certainly not going to be for the faint of heart. Grown men only.

I honestly don't know what to think about the game. I do believe, and it's been shown time and time again, that the United States has a superior team. However, Mexico is playing for their qualifying lives, as they are currently fourth in the CONCACAF standings that send 3 automatic qualifiers to South Africa next summer. The United States is a comfortable 2nd, and will most likely end up overtaking Costa Rica for the top spot. That's not to say that we will come out with any less fire than Mexico, but that sense of desperation is firmly on the Mexican side.

I would live-blog the game, but it'd be the most boring live-blog in the history of live-blogs. I'm going to be locked in (on tape delay due to work constraints) tomorrow night; and I doubt I'd have enough time or focus to get a word in edgewise. I'm leaving my phone at home during the work day and I'm not checking my email -- I'm making it virtually impossible to learn the result before I see it. It's that important to me. If you're reading this and you have the least bit of respect for me, don't contact me until late tomorrow night. At all. Thank you.

I will be back tomorrow night after I finish viewing the game to blog my thoughts on it. Hopefully, I'll be lauding the play of Tim Howard, Landon Donovan, and Jozy Altidore after a thrilling United States victory.

Hopefully.

~~ Lank

No comments: