Sunday, August 9, 2009

Scott Dixon Won By A Lot


As you may have noticed, I don't write much about my beloved IndyCar Series on Skip To My Lank. Nobody I know really knows anything about the series, nor do they much care. Big Brother, God bless his soul, watches races from time to time and asks me questions about the Series, but 87% of that effort is just to humor me, I think. Willie P used to watch IndyCars like it was his job, but since The Split, his heart just isn't in it any more.

But tonight, I'm writing about the IndyCar Series, because my favorite driver, Scott Dixon, put on one heck of a show at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course today. And by "one heck of a show", I really mean there wasn't much of a show at all because Dixon won by a commercial. Commercial? I don't get it, you're saying.

Watch this...

Ok, finished? If Scott Dixon crossed the finish line at the beginning of the commercial, then his closest competitor would have finished at the very end of it. He won by 30 seconds. That's absurd. I've never seen anything like it in my life. Normally, guys get "huge" leads when they're up by 5 or 7 seconds. Dixon was up by 5 times that much. At the end. When guys are supposed to be going balls to the wall for the win.

He had the fastest car on the track (obviously), and once he passed Justin Wilson to take the lead on lap 37 (of 85) it was curtains for everybody else. The lap he put down before his last pit stop was the fastest of the race, showing everyone that he wasn't going to rest on his laurels and take the lead he'd already built up; he wanted more. It's that exact attitude that allowed him to win the 2008 championship and allows him to currently lead the points standings for the 2009 season as well.

Oh, and to cap off Dixon's perfect day, my roommate's girlfriend, while watching the post-race interview with me (yeah, she got a lot of roommate brownie points from me today), said, "wow, Scott Dixon is hot." When you're on a roll, you're on a roll, I guess.

Tune in to the rest of the races this season to see if his roll continues. I, for one, hope it does.

~~ Lank

No comments: