Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Something That Pleases Me: Wikipedia Updaters

Wikipedia is awesome.

I just had to get that out of the way before I begin. Whether it's video game reviews, movie reviews, album release dates (yes, some of us still buy actual CDs), sports stats, historical facts, or random trivia, Wikipedia holds it down. The site is so well-organized and easy to use that it's practically impossible not to get stuck on there for hours at a time if you're not careful. I was looking up stuff on Edmonton, Alberta one day and ended up on Macho Man Randy Savage. Seriously. Whenever my friends and I get into an argument (which is about 17 times a day), one of us always ends up saying "just Wiki it" to get the final word on who's right.

I say all that to say this: the people who update Wikipedia (accurately, of course) are some great people. No pay, no glory, no fame; just putting facts out there for the masses to consume. Being an IndyCar Series fan, I want to instantly know how the results of the most recent race affected the points standings. No problem, 30 seconds after the checkered flag is waved, some kind soul has already updated the 2009 IndyCar Series season page on Wikipedia. Sometimes, I forget when a favorite artist of mine is releasing his new album. Luckily for me, the anonymous heroes at Wikipedia have me covered. I'm curious to see what the population in New York City is these days. No biggie, Wikipedia has it updated with the most current information.

I tried editing a Wikipedia page one time and it didn't end well. I don't know a lot about HTML code, and the templates were all confusing to read. Basically, I got out of there as quick as I could without permanently damaging the page. This only adds to my affinity for Wikipedia updaters, as they bravely tackle HTML in an expedient manner to get a fact-craving soul such as myself the latest news and notes.

So, here's to you, Wikipedia updaters. The next time Bud Light decides to do a "Real Men of Genius" commercial, I hope you're the focal point of the ad. I know one guy who thinks you deserve it.

~~ Lank

No comments: