Thursday, July 23, 2009

Denzel Being Denzel


Denzel Washington is one of my favorite actors. He's also one of my favorite people in Hollywood (I know, I know, backhanded compliment, but work with me here), because he always gives great interviews and seems to be the epitome of cool. I feel like I could go anywhere in the world with Denzel and he'd be the coolest guy there. So imagine my delight when Denzel met up with Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chad Ochocinco at Lakers playoff game and called him out.

Look, I love Chad as much as anybody. He's good for the game, he's very quotable, and (except for last season) he gets it done on the field. Heck, I was there, in Cincy, when he proposed to the cheerleader after scoring a touchdown (thank goodness my Colts held on in that shootout). But his woe-is-me act last season was tired. Complainer Chad is nowhere near as fun as Linestepper Chad. When he's got Roger Goodell and company wondering what he's going to do next, he's a lot more entertaining that when he's got the Cincinnati faithful irritated about hearing him say he wants out.

This is where Denzel comes in.

Being the coolest man on the planet, he can say whatever he wants to somebody, because they have to listen. It's Denzel, for crying out loud. I haven't spoken to Chad personally, but I get the vibe that he's a big Denzel fan too. So when Denzel told him to "straighten up" and "stop fussin'", Ochocinco said, "that's all I needed to hear." Thank you, Denzel; not only for getting Chad in line, but for reminding us that sometimes it just takes a stern talking-to to get somebody's head back where it needs to be.

The next time I have a come-to-Jesus meeting with someone, I'm going to refer to it as "Denzel-ing" them, in your honor.

~~ Lank

No comments: