Monday, July 20, 2009

Another Reason to Love Minor League Baseball


When it comes to attending minor league baseball games, there's really no downside. The tickets are cheap, the concessions are cheap, the parks are small enough that even with a less-than-stellar crowd they have a cozy feel, and you get some legit promotion nights.

Like Ballpark Wedding Night.

I'm gonna need you to peep that link before I continue...





...ok, got it now?

How awesome is that? Not only did the Lehigh Valley IronPigs allow couples the opportunity to exchange vows at home plate (something I'm now considering doing when I get married in 2031), but they wore TUXEDO JERSEYS to honor the date. Just a wonderful idea. I can't get enough of it. That's minor league baseball at its finest. Major league teams have too much at stake in terms of merchandising and reputation to risk such a thing, but minor league teams? Please, they love anything that brings fans to the stadium and gets them some publicity.

I'm going on vacation in a week, and one of the things on the docket is to attend an Indianapolis Indians game, the Triple-A affiliate of the Pittsburgh Pirates. Needless to say, if the Injuns pull out a stunt anywhere near that of Lehigh, I might become the team's designated blogger out of respect for the organization.

A man can dream right?

~~ Lank

No comments: