Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Something That Pleases Me: July 4th


As you may have noticed, I've been absent from my blogging exercise for a couple days now. But I refuse to apologize, because I was busy getting my America on. What exactly constitutes "getting my America on"?. I'm glad you asked, because it's quite simple.

Red meat, fireworks, sunburns, and good people.

That's America in a nutshell. Yes, we're famous for much more than that, but starting with those four is a pretty good way to go.

I went out to the Albemarle Sound in eastern North Carolina with my roommate, Uncle Matt, and threw down hard. Lots of sun, lots of playing in the water, lots of jokes, lots of red meat, lots of fireworks (they even let me light a couple fuses), lots of good times. Independence Day has long been one of my favorite holidays because of the patriotism, goodwill, and festivities that surround it; and my trip this weekend only reaffirmed that.

The fact that I haven't quite yet recovered from the holiday weekend is perfect. If I had recovered already, then I would know that I didn't have a very good 4th of July. But as it is, I know that I enjoyed the heck out of the holiday, spent it with good people, and hated for it to end.

Or, as Uncle Matt so eloquently put it as we were lying around and attempting to recover Sunday evening, "man, we got hit by the Fourth of July train."

~~ Lank

No comments: