Thursday, July 9, 2009

A Final Goodbye to the King


On Tuesday, the world said goodbye to the King of Pop, Michael Jackson. Over 30 million viewers watched on TV (during a workday I might add), countless others online (such as myself), and thousands who showed up to the memorial service at Staples Center in Los Angeles. I was unsure of what to expect with the service, considering his life and career are unlike anything we've ever seen before or will ever see again.

Yes, Elvis was really, really, really, really popular. But Elvis didn't have prisoners in the Philippines dancing. Yes, Princess Diana was really, really, really, really popular, but black people didn't really care when she died. Yes, the election of President Barack Obama was a really, really, really, really big deal, but he didn't almost shutdown the internet. Basically, Michael Jackson was a huge deal to a huge amount of people; numbers I can't even begin to add up. He was the most famous person to walk the Earth not named Jesus Christ.

Which is why, getting back to Tuesday's memorial service, I didn't know what to expect. Was it going to be over the top? How would the featured guests be presented? Would it feel like a wake or a celebration?

I can honestly say that I was completely satisfied with the whole thing, from beginning to end. The performances were great (I'm especially talking about you, Stevie Wonder), the spoken words were sincere and emotional (Berry Gordy, Brooke Shields, etc.), and not once did anything feel contrived. The highlight of the show was also the most sad, when Michael's daughter, Paris, spoke, telling everyone how much she loved "Daddy" and how he was "the best father anyone could want." As she broke down and fell into her Aunt Janet's arms, I couldn't have felt any worse for a person at that given moment. It was a moment that was unplanned and straight from the heart of an 11-year-old girl who'd just lost her father days earlier; and a moment that I'll never forget as long as I live.

Despite the media's obsession lately with trying to tear away at his image, cloud the circumstances surrounding his death, and rekindle the legal battles that he's faced over the years, I will remember nothing but positive things about Michael Jackson. Everyone who's ever known him speaks of him glowingly, and his humanitarian and philanthropic efforts speak for themselves. Think about it, the dude is in the Guinness Book for World Records for the highest-selling album of all time (1982's Thriller), and he's also in there for donating more money to more charities (39) than any other person ever has. That, my friends, is something we can all admire.

Rather than focus on the bad things or his quirky behavior, I will remember the multitude of timeless music that he gave us, the riveting performances that were given to audiences worldwide, and the time and money he gave to children and disadvantaged people all over the globe. Michael Jackson was one of a kind in more ways than one, and I feel blessed that I was able to witness his star blazing across the sky of the human race.

Long live the King.

~~ Lank

No comments: