Monday, July 13, 2009

Home Run Derby Disappointment

The Home Run Derby is one of my favorite events of the year. Yes, it's hokey, and yes, it's contrived, but it always ends up being fun. There's just something thrilling about watching 8 of the best home run hitters in the game hit batting practice balls into the seats time and time again. I'm going to watch it again this year (Monday on ESPN), but I'm going to do so begrudgingly.

We got shafted on the participant selections.

When the National League participants were announced, I had hope for this year's Derby. Albert Pujols, Ryan Howard, Prince Fielder, and Adrian Gonzalez? Don't mind if I do. There have been years past where the creme de la creme have chosen not to participate, but as long as you get a few horses in there, I'm ok with that. So after seeing the NL's lineup, I was excited...until I saw the selections for the American League.

Joe Mauer, Brandon Inge, and Nelson Cruz. Really? That's the best you can do? Look, I realize Justin Morneau (last year's winner) and Josh Hamilton (last year's showstopper) politely declined the invitation. I'm fine with that; they put on a show last year and couldn't be expected to do the same this year. But why were three guys selected who aren't established home run hitters? After dropping two bombs Sunday, Inge now has 21; but his career high is 27. Joe Mauer has 15 at the break...and that's a career high. Nelson Cruz has 22 home runs this season, which is exactly how many he's had the last three seasons...combined. No, really, look it up.

The fourth contestant for the American League has yet to be named, but hopefully they'll choose somebody like the recently-named All-Star substitute Carlos Pena. Or maybe his teammate (and participant last year) Evan Longoria. Mark Teixeira is there, and so is Jason Bay. Please, for the love of all that is righteous, choose one of them. There has to be someone on the American League side that I firmly believe is going to hit more than 5 out tomorrow night at picturesque Busch Stadium.

As you can tell, I'm getting a little worked up over this. I'm sorry that I'm not sorry, but I enjoy the Home Run Derby and I just want to make sure it's reaching its potential this year. Nelson Cruz won't help it do such a thing, nor will Joe Mauer; but at least we have Albert Pujols around to put on a show for his hometown fans.

Albert, I love you. Please make my viewership worthwhile tomorrow night. Thanks, you're the best. No, really, you are.

~~ Lank

No comments: