Monday, July 20, 2009

Buzz Aldrin Is a G


I've never been to the moon. Shocking, I know. But I'd like to think, despite that, I'm 1/8 of the man Buzz Aldrin is. I mean, this guy is as rock-solid and opinionated as they come. Sure, he's a bit older these days, but there's no way he's lost any of his spunk. How do I know that?

Because he told people to quit worrying about going to the moon again, and to go to Mars. That's gangster, dude.

The best part is that his comments came directly after two of his former Apollo program colleagues, who were gathered in Washington to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the moon landing, spoke about returning to the moon as a training mission for a trip to Mars.

"America to Mars is what ought to be, not America back to the moon. Why go to the most difficult place, the surface of the moon, to do that (train for a Mars landing)? Why not do those at the space station?" Aldrin said.

I'm telling you, this guy is something else. If I have a fraction of the fire that he does at any point in my life, let alone at his current age, then I will consider that an arrow in my quiver of life. I love his vision; I love his desire to push America to its limits; I love the fact that he's willing to say what's on his mind regardless of the situation or who's in the room. We need more men like Buzz Aldrin; especially in this day and age.

A tip of the cap to you, Buzz; not only for going to the moon, but for keepin' it real.

~~ Lank

No comments: