Sunday, September 27, 2009

My Top 25 Poll

Since I know that tomorrow's polls will bring frustration and confusion to my senses, I figured I'd go ahead and provide everyone with my thoughts on the Top 25 teams in the country. Most of it is based on what has transpired on the field thus far this season, with the rest based on how good the teams have actually looked to me this year.

1.) Florida
2.) Alabama
3.) Texas
4.) Cincinnati
5.) Houston
6.) Iowa
7.) Michigan
8.) Oklahoma
9.) LSU
10.) TCU
11.) Kansas
12.) Boise State
13.) USC
14.) Ohio State
15.) Missouri
16.) Virginia Tech
17.) Oregon
18.) Auburn
19.) California
20.) Oklahoma State
21.) Miami
22.) Georgia Tech
23.) Penn State
24.) Georgia
25.) South Carolina

I don't envy the pollsters this week because we're in kind of an in-between state of the season where we have enough data to make guesses, but we don't have enough data to really evaluate every team. If I were to put together a poll next week, I'm sure there would be a lot of movement, but that's the point; you're supposed to move teams up and down based on what happened rather than keeping Team A above Team B simply because they started the season that way. I can almost promise you that Penn State (#5 coming into this week) will be ranked ahead of Iowa (unranked coming into this week) in tomorrow's poll. Does that make sense since the Hawkeyes won in Happy Valley? Of course not, but because their respective rankings were what they were prior to the game, it's how things work. Yes, it's a lame system, but you just have to roll with it as a fan. Everything will get worked out by the end of the season, you just have to be patient enough to disregard everything that leads up until then.

I know, easier said than done.

~~ Lank

No comments: