Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Skip's Trip To KGC

Last night I did something out of character. So out of character it has even prompted me to post on the blog which shares my name but not my work. I went to KFC. My first trip since 2006, a fateful day in a Las Vegas mall food court which was only visited due to losing all the money I could stand. Combining my general dislike of the place and love for Bojangles, I would have told you that trip was my last. That was before a little invention called KGC, a new option so healthy and flavorful even a heathen like myself would bow at the altar of the Colonel.

So I pull up to the KFC out on Highway 51 near my girlfriend's place about 7, prime time to devour poultry so tender I'd never think of fast food the same. With a drive thru line 6-deep I decided to venture inside, mistake number one. Posted smack dab next to the register was a sanitation grade of a whopping 88. While I'm not captain clean, I do know the McDonald's average is around 99, so it isn't a good start to turn my opinion of the joint. I proceed to then take in the menu, to learn that the basic grilled chicken bucket dinner is 19.99, which also seems a little steep. I move forward with the sale and choose mac and cheese and potato wedges, keeping my face down as much as I can. Bojangles may never look at me the same again. So, after 21.80 with tax I head over to my girlfriends ready to eat.

Upon opening the bucket, I first take out a plate to verify they actually slammed 10 pieces in there, as it looks like around 6 pieces. It totals to ten, but these pieces can't even be compared to Bojos. Sure, hormone-slammed chickens aren't natural, but a KFC 10 weighs about the same as a Bojos 5. Strike 3 if we count the sanitation and the price. But I'm a giver and I'm hungry, so it's going down.

We prepare our plates, and even though our food had to be sitting an hour, it is all pretty good. The chicken is better than expected and the wedges are damn strong. However, the biscuits are laughable dinner rolls at best, and the mac just one step above hot garbage. I won't hold a grudge though, the feature item and reason for the visit didn't let me down. I'll give the chicken 4/5, sides 2.5/5 and general feelings about the entire thing 1.5/5.
Seriously, just go to bojangles. While good, KFC isn't worth losing your soul and southern spirit.

~~ Skip

No comments: