Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Go Blues



I used to follow hockey. Not avidly, but I at least kept an eye on the standings and knew a lot of players. I guess you could say I was somewhere in between “casual fan” and “knowledgeable fan”. However, after the 2004-2005 season was cancelled due to a lockout and the NHL moved its games to Versus, I lost touch. I can probably only name about 50 hockey players, and some of those I won’t even be able to match with their team.

15 of them, though, play for the St. Louis Blues.

You see, back in 2002, when I still followed hockey a lot closer, I took my first trip to an NHL game. Loading up a van full of dudes and departing from beautiful Terre Haute, Indiana, we landed in St. Louis three hours later to watch the Blues take on the Colorado Avalanche (back when they were good) at the Scottrade Center. I loved it. I had such a good time that despite being a hockey fan free agent, I hitched my wagon to the Blues and have been rooting for them ever since. Just my luck, as soon as I announced my allegiance to the team, they went on the worst stretch in franchise history, going from Presidents’ Trophy contender (most points during the regular season) to annual combatant for the first overall pick in the NHL Draft.

Nevertheless, I kept following the Blues, if not very much hockey outside of St. Louis. Yes, I know who wins the Stanley Cup every year, and yes, I know that Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Alex Ovechkin, and Joe Thornton are really good. However, I couldn’t tell you who starts in goal for the New York Rangers, why the Bruins traded stud youngster Phil Kessel, or why I’m supposed to believe that Dany Heatley is the reason the Sharks won’t choke in the postseason again this year.

All I really know is that the Blues made the playoffs for the first time since 2004 last year with a second-half run for the ages. And that with the return of winger Paul Kariya and defenseman Erik Johnson from injury, we’re going to be better this year. And that T.J. Oshie, Patrik Berglund, Alex Pietrangelo, B.J. Crombeen, and Cam Janssen are bringing a youth movement that will leave us set for years to come. And that after anchoring last year’s incredible midseason transformation, Chris Mason will have an entire year to solidify the Blues’ goalie position. As you can tell, I’m pretty excited about St. Louis’ prospects this year. The talent is getting older and the youth is getting better, so we’re not quite on the Detroit/Philly/Pittsburgh level yet, but there has been enough improvement to let me know that better days aren’t too far away. And after sweeping the Red Wings in Sweden to open the year, I’m only getting more jacked to see what the 2009-2010 Blues have in store.

So if you have a keen sense of what is taking place in the NHL this season and you have the destinies of all 30 team figured out; good for you. But don't bother me with that, I'll be too busy watching the Blues.

~~ Lank

No comments: