Friday, October 9, 2009

Quote of the Year

A friend of mine, GB, was kind enough to visit me in Raleighwood last week before heading off to see some family and friends. We went out and had dinner the night before he left and, in telling me a story about he and a lady friend, he hit me with one of the best quotes I have ever heard; and easily my favorite quote of 2009.

Long story short, there’s a girl who has been showing GB some love lately and she’s been hinting at becoming “more than friends,” as the kids say. Well, GB isn’t quite at that point in his life where he’s able to commit to anyone. He has a few things he’s working on that won’t allow him to settle down quite yet, and he isn’t sure where his profession will be taking him in the coming months and years. With that in mind, here is the quote that he delivered to this girl when she made it known that she was feelin’ him:

“I’m fine with hanging out together, but honestly, I have nothing to offer you but a good time.”

I mean, isn’t that what every young man struggling to get on his feet in this recession-slammed country has been yearning to say to every girl that approaches him looking for stability (read: money) and commitment (read: engagement ring)? GB decided to put his filter in his pocket, pull out the keepin’-it-real card, and let the young lady know what the business was. I can’t have any more respect for what he said and did than I do right now. This guy looked her in the face and told her the last thing that any 20-something girl wants to hear. Especially in this economy.

With that, I’m tipping my proverbial cap to GB. What a man move. Instead of taking the road of appeasement, he kept it realer than Real Deal Holyfield and earned an infinite amount of respect points from ol’ Lank. Not that that means anything tangible, but it can’t hurt.

For the record, here are the quotes that round out my Top 5 for 2009:

2.) “If my brother told me he was gay, I’d surrogate his babies.” – My roommate, Black Santa’s, sister (note: my roommate isn’t the brother whom she referenced…sadly)

3.) “I’d roll with that assimilated Indian that dressed like a white man.” – Skip, when talking about how he and I would live in the Wild West if we had the chance

4.) “He looked like a Carlos to me, too.” – Phil (Bradley Cooper) to Alan (Zach Galifianakis) in “The Hangover”

5.) “I wish we had a grizzly bear that wore human clothes and sat in that recliner all day, just hanging out with us.” – Black Santa

We still have a few months left in the year, but I'm quite confident that my Top 5 will remain unchanged on December 31st, 2009. Unless I seek relationship advice from GB before then, of course.

~~ Lank

No comments: