Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Something That Pleases Me: Oregon's Uniforms

My favorite sport is college football. The rivalries, the pageantry, the buildup each week, the lack of a playoff which raises the stakes for each game, the surprising teams that come out of nowhere; basically, I like everything about college football (even the BCS). Every year, around this time, there are a few things that begin to get my engine cranking for the new season. I buy the Athlon Sports College Football Preview magazine. I ask Skip what the North Carolina Tar Heels are going to finish this year (which usually only deviates from 12-0 if he goes with 11-1). I go to schools' websites that are losing big time players and look at their depth chart to see how they're filling the void.

And I peep Oregon's new uniforms.

God bless the Oregon Ducks. They throw a middle finger to tradition and decide to go into the 22nd century, design and make their uniforms, and then come back to the present to play football. And I, for one, have no problem with that. You can take Penn State's boring white-on-whites with a logo-less helmet all day; I'm going with Oregon's jazzed up technicolor wonders every day of the week and twice on Sunday (or should I say Saturday?).

Today (Tuesday, June 23rd), Oregon debuted some new unis and they look great. Not "great" as in, "oh, those remind me of the days of the wishbone, tearaway jerseys, and New Year's Day bowl games." I mean "great" as in, "man, those jerseys are legit. Those boys are gonna be lookin' flashy all year long." I must admit that I miss the all yellow uniforms, and the yellow tops with the green bottoms. However, I'm hopeful that the looks shown today are only a fraction of what the Ducks plan on wearing this season. After all, part of the beauty of Oregon's uniforms are their versatility. Wearing the same color jersey with the same color pants more than once is sooooo 2008.

Oh, and before I forget, I promise that Skip To My Lank will have a legit college football preview, beginning in a few weeks. I'm doing my research and formulating my rankings, conference predictions, and overall national outlook. Stay tuned, because before the season begins, we'll provide you with the most interesting college football preview around, and the only preview you'll need to read to be ready for kickoff in September.

~~ Lank

No comments: